Agriculture is the source of income of more than half of the population. India as a developing country aims at maximizing yield. Nanotechnology is the science of designing and inventing machines in which every atom and particle is defined precisely. A nanometer is one-billionth of a meter. Nanotechnology helps agricultural areas to reduce pollution by producing Nano crystals to increase the efficiency of fertilizers and pesticides.
In Agricultural sector, Nanotechnology is mostly theoretical, but as time increases nanotech has been diversified for food industry development, new designing and researching purposes in agriculture also.
Nanotechnology has many uses in the areas of production, processing and transportation of agricultural produce.
NANOTECHNOLOGY AND ITS APPLICATIONS:
- Nanotechnology can increase agricultural production. Its application are:
- Nanodevices for genetic engineering of plants
- animal breeding and health, poultry production
- plant diseases diagnostic
- Nano formulations of agrochemicals for applying pesticides and fertilizers for the improvement of
WHY SHOULD AGRICULTURAL SCIENTISTS THINK OF NANOTECHNOLOGY?
- Climate Change
- Crop yield stagnation
- Decline in organic matter
- Shortage of labor
- Multinutrient deficiencies
Nanotechnology is showing a promising growth in sustainable agriculture. Nanomaterials are important in matters like fate, fertility and toxicity of soil pollutants. Potential of nanotechnology in agriculture is large but still there are few problems relating to it.
Nanoscience research in the agriculture sector will be in the given areas:
- Food safety and Biosecurity
- Food processing and Product development
- Material processing